Monday, February 20, 2006

Poetry Slam

Ahh, finally I have time to sit down and catch a breather. Do pardon me, for it has been a whirlwind of many weeks. Yours truly have entered into a few new enterprises, that's why. One gets bored when nothing happens. With the academic work piling up too, there was hardly any time to write.

These minor details aside my dear reader, do you smell the wind of change? I tasted it. Yes, tasted the wind. Think synaethesia. Somehow, I do believe that the period of darkness is almost over. Aristocrat is dying. And perhaps, there is no need to sustain it any longer, but to let it go.

To face change, that's what we are all afraid of. But I find it to be strangely exhilirating and re-invigorating, in fact. Not to change with the times, but to change, to improve in other words, when one feels that stasis is near.

I am bored. Bored of writing the same things in the same way over and over again. One needs to learn new styles of writing, of presentation. And that is why, I found myself in a poetry slam workshop. To learn more about performing poetry, as opposed to reading or reciting poetry. This poetry performance is more well-known as poetry slam in the States.

Poets go up to the stage to perform his or her own piece of work. It must be within the span of 3 minutes and the judges are usually 3 people chosen from the audience. And when the poet performs, you can feel the intensity, the emotions of the poem, the super-charged air rather than someone standing in the library reciting a poem. I had just done an unofficial slam in the workshop and came out all the better for it.

Learnt new things, made new friends. Still no longer.

Poets performing. Who would have thought of it? I wouldn't. But in case you are interested in Singapore's Poetry Slam, please do drop by:

Event: Poetry Slam
Date: 28th February (held monthly, on the last Tue of every month)
Venue: Zouk
Time: 7.30pm to 10.00pm
Price: SGD$10 (includes one free drink)

See for yourself what Singapore poets have to say besides the usual crap of politics and what-nots. Listen not to a recital, but a high energy performance. However, if the poet chooses to perform a quiet piece, I am not to be held liable for anything.

But I will be there too. And then you can have your chance to sling mud at me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home