Friday, December 17, 2004

Letter #7

Did you see the two previous poems that were posted? I feel a sense of foreboding. He is coming back into my life, slowly but surely. At times, I would lose track of all sense and time. By the time I come to my senses, hours would have already past. And during that period, I couldn't even recall what I had done! Enough of rambling, I have to go on before the resurgence of the necrophiliatic comes back.
Anyway, back to the story. I had finished my national service stint and was looking for a job. This pub hired my friend and I. It wasn't my first choice. I clearly remembered being hired as a bartender. In the end, I became like the barback, doing soap cocktails and all instead of the proper things. The guy clearly don't like teaching me the hang of things there. In that place, only a few people were friendly enough to us. There were also a lot of bootlicking happening. And it absolutely disgusted me. Bottomline is, me and my friend did not stay there for long. We got a call from CI, which was only three doors down, not including the fountain of course, saying that we were to go for the interviews tomorrow. Needless to say, we got the jobs and were told to start next week. However, my friend did not want to work at CI in the end so I was left all alone.
The job there was terrific I think. At the very beginning, I thought I was in for shit again as I was asked to carry this and carry that. But well, at least I got to work in the bar. The people there are one hell of a nice bunch of people.
My so-called upperstudy, Peter, was terrific, teaching me this and that. In a few weeks, I had gotten the hang of things. Peter was a very teacher to me despite our age difference. he taught me a lot of the things I know now. And I'm still learning. It's a neverending process I think. Did you know we had more than 150 types of tequila in our bar? Mindblowing isn't it? Now we have only around 80 types left according to Abbas. Abbas is the so-called senior bartender in the cafe for I think he has the most experience. His regular pool of customers is so strong that he can receive a lot of tips in a day. I found out that I was hired to replace him for the time being since he was in India getting married. He's a very very nice person too. Friendly and outgoing. I could go on and on about all the people in the cafe....And I think I should....

3 Comments:

At 8:46 am, Blogger Rhys D. said...

Hey. Captivating entries you have here as well. Though I wouldn't quite deem my usually-crude language as 'good', hahah. Good for you that you've got yourself a job, while people like us sit idle and twiddling our thumbs, waiting (not very eagerly) for school to commence once again.

 
At 1:39 pm, Blogger tussand said...

Well, it's just a passion for bartending tat explains why I have a job now, if not,I probably would be jobless....

Yours truly
Aristocrat

 
At 12:07 am, Blogger Rhys D. said...

Thank you for the 2nd comment, hahah. Bartending eh? That's nice. Perhaps we might be able to catch you in action sometime. =) It's strange, I pass by Cafe Iguana at least once a week, and I've always been quite enthralled by it's signboard. Coincidence, is it not?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home